Sat., Sept. 27, 2014, the Largest, Baddest, Funkiest DAY OF THE DRUM is happening in Rhythm-Crazy Oakland, CA !!! From 9am – 6:30pm the house will literally be ROCKING with the infectious beats of Brazil, Cuba, Japan, Guinea, Trinidad, Brooklyn, the Congo and Oakland! All under ONE ROOF in an amazing display of culture, talent, energy and love!
The 3rd Annual Oakland World Percussion Festival 2014 is about to drop and YOU! are invited!
Confirmed artists include:
- John Santos (5-time Grammy Nominee, McCoy Tyner, Dizzy Gillespie, Tito Puente)
- Kiazi Malonga (Fua dia Congo, Kiandanda Dance Co.)
- Edgardo Cambon (Oscar DeLeon, Eddie Palmieri, Ray Barretto)
- Mary Ellen Donald (Gallal Kutub, Yusel Mostafa, Light Rain)
- Robert “Bobby” Wallace (Bonnie Riatt, David Rudder, Margareth Menezes)
- Mohammed Kouyate (Balafon, Djembe)
- Tina “Bean” Blaine (Brian Eno, Tracy Blackmun, Eda Maxym)
- Jeni Swerdlow (Mickey Hart, Loyd Family Players)
- Carolyn Brandy (Zakir Hussain, Paquito DâRivera, Pete Escovedo)
- Ben Isaacs (Djaily Kunda Kouyate, Balla Tounkara, Nabi Camara)
- BATALA DRUM ENSEMBLE (Afro-Brazilian/Funk)
- Kamesha Fofana (West African dance)
- Jeff âTandouâ Pierre (Port of Prince, Haiti)
- Maze Daiko (Japanese Taiko + Funk)
- Mika Scott (Grateful Dead, Hamza Ell Din, Steve Miller)
- PLUS MANY MORE !!!
ENJOY FOUR HOURS of FREE World Percussion and Dance performances.
Bring the whole family. Bring the kids for FREE Youth Drumming lessons!
Want to dive in deeper? The Festival offers SIX hour-long HANDS-ON Percussion Workshops covering Afro-Brazilian Funk, Rhythms from the Congo, Afro-Cuban Bembe, Middle Eastern Percussion, Beats and Songs from Haiti and Djembe Rhythms from West Africa! (Note: Percussion workshops are $20 each or $50 for ALL SIX!)
Buy your Workshop Pass here: http://totalrhythm.com/OWPF/index.html#workshops
Bring your drum and JOIN THE FUN! We’ll have a scintillating International Marketplace, featuring sustainable and organic world music/art vendors from across the globe: African drums, Hand-made Chekeres from Cachimbo, Brazilian percussion, Natural hair and skin products, jewelry, original art, Pan-African CDs and DVDs…join us!
BRING YOUR APPETITE! We’ll have mouth-watering food from Cameroon, Thailand, Trinidad, and Oakland, CA.
This a ONE LOVE event celebrating the incredible Power of the Drum.
The Festival includes a FREE community-wide CLOSING DRUM CIRCLE with dynamic facilitator Jeni Swerdlow (www.drummm.com)! Bring your drum or percussion if you have one, and if you have two bring one to share.
Full details here:
WANT TO SUPPORT THE FESTIVAL? Help make it all possible: Support our IndieGoGo campaign:
We still need VOLUNTEERS!! Please email Robert@TotalRhythm.com for full details.
THANK YOU ! THANK YOU ! THANK YOU for making this CELEBRATION OF THE DRUM a HUGE SUCCESS !