1. Drumless Drumming @ 11-11:45am (FREE! Donations graciously accepted)
- After drums were outlawed in “the States” in 1740, post-Stono, Africans internalized their Spirit-calling technology—creating the drumless techniques of Hambone, Soft shoe, Scatting, and more. Feel and Nurture the Power within!
2. Funk o’ the Rhythm — the SMP Way! @ 1-1:45pm
- Learn secrets of the ancient U.S. tradition of Spoken Rhythm—and how to apply that to your drum playing, and how you feel rhythm, with S (say), M (move), and P (Play).
3. Funk Within: How to Deepen Your Djembe Groove @ 2-2:45pm
- Join Súle for a fun and challenging interactive drumming session that will strengthen and deepen your playing, listening, and grooving skills.
Please note for all workshops:
- Bring a chair to sit on and a drum or percussion instrument if you have one.
- Drum rentals are available with advance registration.
- This is a Covid-safe event – we will be following the current Covid safety protocols for the Bay Area. Hand sanitizer will be provided. Please do not come if you are feeling unwell or have been exposed to a person who’s tested positive for Covid within the previous 10 days.
– Morning workshop in the park is FREE (donations graciously accepted)
– Afternoon workshops: $20 advance/$30 door for ONE workshop, $30 advance/$50 door for BOTH workshops
– Optional Djembe rental: $10
ABOUT SULE GREG WILSON:
Súle Greg Wilson, American Griot and Urban Shaman, educator and author, infuses over a half century of community-based ceremony and Spirit work to all he does. Born and raised in Washington, DC, Súle has shared stage and/or studio with Baba Olatunji, Chief Bey, Taj Mahal, the Carolina Chocolate Drops, Malidoma Somé, Cheikh Hamala Diabate, Youssouf Koumbassa, Luis Conte, the Phoenix Symphony, and many more. He has studied and practiced African, Asian and American (Native and Creole) forms.
His 1992 book, The Drummer’s Path: Moving the Spirit with Ritual and Traditional Drumming, is a classic in the field. Reiki Master, RYS 200, and Certified Life Coach, Súle had nearly a decade of priesthood training with the Ausar Auset Society, studied acupuncture with BAANA, and has played and danced ceilidhs, bembés, jooks, Soul Sessions, on the Res, Diwali, and Apafram. Learn more about Sule at https://www.sulegregwilson.com/.
Contact: Jeni Swerdlow – firstname.lastname@example.org – 510-316-2580.